2011-06-22

New Experiences

If Our brains have one just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit, then is it a good thing to expand the breadth of our experience? I have always worked on that assumption, and it seems to be deeply ingrained in our society. Children have little if any breadth of experience and they seem to be mostly happy. If every day is awesome because we've never experienced anything enormously better with which to compare it, is it possible that the quality of our lives is greater? I have always looked for new experiences and new extremes. In doing so, have I made the common experiences less enjoyable? I don't think so. I think that new experiences are rewarding because they are new. I guess I need to constantly be chasing new experiences, and I'm not sure that's even a bad thing... but it certainly can be tiring.

0 comments: